Friday, September 2, 2016

September 2, 2016. The Vicar of Dibley trip!!

LOCATION:  Housesitting in Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire, England
WEATHER:  Mostly cloudy.  Cooler. Highs in 60s

This was a lucky day, all around.......

One of my dreams while in England has been to visit the village where one of my favorite BBC shows, The Vicar of Dibley, takes place.  It is a very remote village, Turville, not on a bus or train line. I researched it as best as I could, but when I asked people where Turville is, no one had heard  of it.  I found out there is a pub there (of course), so I contacted them to confirm how to get there.

The first leg was to Aylesbury, the bus hub around here.  Luck #1 .......We were running a bit late and arrived at the Whitchurch bus stop one minute after the listed departure time.  Luckily, the bus was running a minute late, too, so we hopped on just as it pulled up.

Luck #2.....In Aylesbury, our second bus was just getting ready to leave.  We boarded with a bunch of older locals.     When we tried to pay, the driver just ushered us on.  I think he assumed that we were with the other British seniors, who ride the buses free.

The bus travelled through beautiful countryside, just like the scenes from the tv show, arriving in High Wycombe, the closest we could get to Turville by local transport.  We hailed a cab.  The driver wasn't 100% sure where Turville is, even though it is only about 8 miles away.  He did figure it out, and took us there.  

Turville looks just like Dibley.  It IS Dibley!  Our first view was the church, called St. Barnabus in the show.
 
Next to the church is the Vicar's cottage.

We walked into the church, seeing familiar scenes....

It is smaller than it looks on tv.  This is where the Vicar preaches...

The village is comprised of the church, a pub, and about 20 houses.  

It is all so impossibly quaint.




See next post for more Dibley!  


2 comments:

  1. You lucky ducks. Love that show

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete