Monday, August 25, 2014

Connect with RVers who like to cook

I'm hoping that RVers who like to cook (and eat well) will find this blog.  

My husband George and I retired a year ago, and became full-time RVers.  For the first 5 months, we lived out of a pop-up Aliner.  We upgraded to a 22-foot Airstream when the weather turned cold.  :-)

We love life on the road.  We started our trip in Minnesota, where we had previously lived.  We traveled through the upper peninsula, Michigan, then  up through Vermont to eastern Canada.  We loved the Maritimes!  Then we followed the US coast southward to the Florida Keys.  Then up the western side of Florida.  By this time, it is December and we were seeking warm weather.  We found it in San Padre Island.  Then we headed north through Texas, Arkansas, Missouri to South Dakota.  We have established residency there, and use a wonderful mail forwarding service there.  From there, we headed north through Alberta, BC, and the Yukon to a month in Alaska.  We took the ferry back to BC.  We are now slowly making our way across the northern USA to Michigan.

We stay off the interstates, when possible, and try to camp in state and provincial parks.  We are trying to hit as many national parks as  possible.  We try to keep to a budget.

I write a daily blog with information and photos of our journey, as well as a description of our dinner menu.   My hobby is cooking.  During this trip, I enjoy the challenge of maximizing our tiny refrigerator, planning a menu that uses leftovers in hopefully creative ways.  

Example.....we usually grocery-shop every 3 to 4 days.  Yesterday, I bought chicken thighs.  Tonight we will grill them, and I will serve the chicken with some leftover rice in a Mexican sauce.  Then, tomorrow, we will eat the leftover chicken Thanksgiving-style with stuffing, using the celery up that I bought a few days ago.  Then, I will make chicken broth with the chicken bones and skin, and use the broth for breakfast grits.  Lunch today will be stuffed celery stalks with some leftover cream cheese.  And so on ......

I hope you enjoy the blog.  Feel free to write comments on it (requires Google account), or email me at reidkarm@gmail.com.

Cheers to life on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment