Thursday, October 2, 2014

October 1, 2014. Rainy-day relaxing

CAMPGROUND: Second night at Elk Rock
LOCATION:  Red Rock Lake near Pella, Iowa
WEATHER:  Rain on-and-off all day. Highs in low 70s

The weather forecast was for rain all day, so we decided to just stay put at the campground.  In the morning, between showers, we took a walk around the campground.  Part of it is an equestrian campground.  It was interesting to see how people camp with horses.    I made some lentil soup for lunch, which hit the spot on a rainy day.

In the afternoon, George spent time cleaning off built-up tar and dead bugs from the trailer and car.

When it stopped raining, we took a bike ride to part of Red Rock Lake.  We weren't prepared for the hills!  

Quiet...I read an entire novel in one day!  

DINNER:  I had a container of Arborio rice that was taking up too much room in my food box, but there was not enough for a meal.  So, I experimented and made a risotto with both Arborio rice as well as regular rice.  It turned out really well!  It didn't look very pretty, though, as I didn't have any white wine and had to use red.  I added onions, garlic, mushrooms, summer sausage, and spinach.  Very good! 


No comments:

Post a Comment