Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day 104. November 18, 2013. To the swamp!

We left Jekyll Island and headed inland to the Okefenokee Swamp.  We visited a visitor info center on the east entrance, then circled the refuge and entered from the south...in Fargo (Georgia, not North Dakota).  It was very swampy and rainy.  As we drove in, we passed some ugly wild black boar.  By the time we set up camp, it was dark.  Since it was sprinkling, we didn't want to cook anything over a campfire, but wanted a fire for "ambiance" and to create smoke to keep Mosquitos at bay.  A bunch of deer came snooping around.  Once it was pitch black, I shone my lights on them, and it was a "deer in the headlights" experience ....they just froze.   Owls hooted loudly.  I was afraid the boars would attack us.  A raccoon raced towards me standing by the fire.  I let out a piercing scream.  Then, just as I calmed down from that, a tree frog jumped into my wine glass!  

We cooked pasta in the rice cooker and warmed up the last of the shrimp and veggies.  I added a little white wine and Italian salad dressing to make a sauce.   Quite good, I must admit.   There are only two other campsites occupied.  

Since it gets dark so early, we find ourselves reading a bit after dinner, and then going to bed early.  I guess we are getting rested!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha must have been a happy treefrog! Finally got a chance to catch up on the blog...super jealous of all the seafood. I hope we are able to catch or buy some good seafood in December. Will it be the right season for crabbing? Gautham would LOVE learning how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaaaay too much wildlife! What happened to your 'weekends at hotels" idea. I haven't seen much evidence of that.

    ReplyDelete