Thursday, April 23, 2015

April 22, 2015. Durango history


CAMPGROUND: Another night at United Campground
LOCATION: Durango, Colorado, in SW part of state
WEATHER:  Nice. Highs about 60

We ran errands around Durango, and planned our next part of the trip.  

Downtown Durango has a lot of history,  Jack Dempsey, heavyweight fighter, fought on a downtown corner.  Butch Cassidy lived here, as well as other famous outlaws.  We learned that the steam engine train that passes by our campsite daily was used to film the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.




The Strater Horel was built in the 1860s.  Author Louis L'Amour wrote many of his novels in a room here.  It has been beautifully restored. 

We hope to visit their saloon or restaurant.

We had lunch at yet another Durango brewery.  We have been to 4 out of the 6 breweries so far.  Two to go!

I bought a flowerpot and potting  soil for my little basil plant.  I hope it grows.  I have to bring it in every night as it gets below 32 most nights still.

DINNER:  I made Mexican tostados.  I used some of fajita meat leftover from the Mexican restaurant the other night.  I added onion, mushrooms, bell peppers and shrimp.  Then, I placed  the mix over tostados and melted cheese on top in the microwave.  Side of avocado slices.  I couldn't get George to eat more than one tostado, so we have yet even more leftovers. :-( 

1 comment:

  1. Karmen, I remember watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in Yucatan. Were you with us? I remember the train.

    ReplyDelete