Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 49. Sept. 24, 2013. Happy Birthday to me!

We took a drive into nearby Hyde Park to visit FDR's estate and library.  Interesting tour.  Passed by the Culinary Institute of America.  I was surprised at its huge campus.  

Drove to Newburgh, NY where a pub had been recommended.  Like many other upstate NY towns, it is full of old Victorian houses that are now derelict.  Kind of sad.  

Hit the road for the day.  Need to head southwest so we can circle into DC.  Ended in Scranton, PA, as that is where I found a TowneSuites Hotel.  That was my birthday gift to myself....staying in what seems to be the lap of luxury.  We stayed in this same hotel chain in Rochester after our house sold, so earned Marriott reward points that we used to stay free.  I bought some food and cooked up a storm.  Also, took advantage of their dishwasher to double-clean our dishes.  

For dinner, I pan-fried pork loin with onions and garlic.  Served with rice and a spinach/arugula salad.  Nice, peaceful (and clean) evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment