Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Day 307. June 9, 2014. Big Sky Montana!

LOCATION:  Glacier State Park in northern Montana
WEATHER: Sunny, nice. Highs in 60s

We had an unusual, and delicious breakfast......toasted bagels with jalapeño cream cheese and smoked trout.  Yum!

We drove to a different section of the park called Many Glacier.  There used to be 150 glaciers here, but now only 23 small ones that you cannot see.  Global climate change?  

We took a 2-hour hike.  We saw a mother moose with her 2 babies.  This is birth time in the animal kingdom.  We also saw 2 pronghorn antelope  with their babies frolicking along behind them in a field.  Driving along the highway, we saw a baby calf that had somehow gotten through the fence and was trying to return to its mom on the other side.

Then, we took another hike that was supposed to be short.  It was a mile each way, but was a 700 foot rise, meaning that it was very steep the whole way.  At the end, we had to trample through snow, and then finally saw our destination, some magnificent waterfalls.

There are neat tourist cars here, like in Yellowstone.  They look like elongated London taxicabs.  The tops are open so that the tourists just stand up inside the car to take pictures.
Beautiful lakes next to mountains.  All in the big sky that Montana is famous for.
Back at the campground, we made a nice campfire and relaxed.

DINNER:  Several months ago, we went to a Whole Foods store (in Texas, I think), and I bought a bunch of dried beans and grains from the bulk food section.  I bought these gigantic beans, favas, I think.  I had soaked them overnight and boiled them.  So tonight, I made a fava bean risotto. It was a traditional risotto, adding some of the fava beans puréed while cooking, and some whole ones at the end.  I served that with slices of leftover chicken and pork.  

To use the remaining cooked fava beans, I'm experimenting with pickling, as I have seen in olive bars.  I put a few in a jar with garlic-stuffed green olives in a Chardonnay brine.  I'll let them marinate a few days, then try them as an appetizer. 

NOTE:  We don't have internet here, so my posts are delayed.  Soon, we are crossing into Canada where I won't  have cellular service.  I will use WIFI when I can find it....like in a MacDonalds parking lot or at a Tim Horton's restaurant......these are Denny's style restaurants all over Canada, and many Canadians are ardent fans. 

1 comment:

  1. Tim Horton's is a Canadian experience...it is the largest chain from coast to coast in the country and the coffee is always a consistent OK. Food is reasonably good, and the free internet is a bonus! We use their free internet often when in Canada, but must rely on McDonald's here in the US! Looking forward to hearing of your experiences in our home and native land!

    ReplyDelete