Saturday, May 23, 2015

May 22, 2015. Harvest day on the farm

LOCATION: Floodgate Farms near Redwood Valley, CA
WEATHER:  very pleasant. Highs around 70

Today was harvest day, the busiest day of the week, preparing for tomorrow's farmers' market.  We spent the day picking veg and flowers alongside the homeowners to learn what to do.  We picked about 10 pounds of leaves, greens and flowers for the flower mix.


George learned about the veg to pick.  Right now, it is greens, leeks, and herbs.  They picked kale to make dried kale chips which we bag and sell.

Later in the day, we picked greens to put in bunches to sell.  

I had a little accident.  As I was picking a flower, I bent down and somehow hit my eye on a bamboo stick used to stake tomatoes.  I just missed my eyeball.  I now have a big, black eye.  I hope I don't scare the customers tomorrow.  

We spent all day picking, as it didn't get dark until about 8:30.  

DINNER:  I added hamburger to the chicken bulgher dish I had made for the pot luck last night. 

1 comment: