Sunday, May 31, 2015

May 28, 2015. Snakes alive!

LOCATION:  Floodgate Farm in Redwood Valley, CA
WEATHER:  Another really nice day. High around 70

After morning pet feeding, George did some weed-wacking.  Since it is an organic farm, the owners leave a lot of weeds alone, as their flowers attract bees and birds.  He mostly cleared around the guest cabin.



Later, he did some mowing in the garden, to clear paths for us to pick veg tomorrow.

We found out that we were selected for a house-sitting assignment in Portland in the fall, so now we can finalize our summer plans.  We will fly to Minnesota and Michigan in July.  We started making appointments at Mayo Clinic, and looked at travel options.  We are anxious to see our daughters and friends.

In the evening, we got started on the harvesting for Saturday's  market.  As I was bending down to pick some greens, a rattle snake slithered along under the mulch right next to me.    I was shocked!  Surprisingly, I didn't run away, but  kept picking.  I stomped my feet a lot, hoping that the vibration would scare others away.  Then, a bit later, George encountered another one, right in the middle of the path.  Unfortunately, it was going in George's direction, so he had to scoot away fast.  

I'm concerned that I haven't seen one of the cats, L.C., for a few days.  I know she likes to roam, just hoping she returns soon.


DINNER:  I found the fish I lost in the refrigerator!  It was in a jar labeled something else.  We finally got our fish tacos.  I used some of the farmers' market goat cheese on them.  I also added some spicy chipotles in adobe sauce.  Delicioso!  

No comments:

Post a Comment