Tuesday, August 2, 2016

August 2, 2016. Walks in Orpington

LOCATION:  House-sitting in Orpington, England
WEATHER:  Drizzle most of the day.  About 65

George has a sore toe, so he wanted to stay home and let it heal.  That left me in charge of dog-walking.  I took Bela, our dog, for morning and evening walks.  There are some nice woods nearby that she likes.  She is very sweet.

I walked to town by myself to shop.  It is about a 15-minute downhill walk from home to downtown.  The downtown is cute.  Lots of charity shops and restaurants. 



On the spur of the moment, I decided to get a haircut.  I popped into a beauty shop and they were able to squeeze me in.  The hairdresser said my previous cut was "rubbishy".  This one did a nice job.  It is always a gamble (and scary) to go to different beauty shops.  The last cut I had was at a discount place in Melbourne, Australia.  Before that, Tasmania.  

The hairdresser was chatty.  I learned that Orpington is a real commuter town.  Lots of people take the train into the city daily.  I asked about driving.  He said the roads are narrow with stand-still traffic jams. London discourages people (intentionally for environmental concerns) from driving into the city by charging a $10/day "congestion fee" with stiff penalties for not paying.   Parking is about $50/day.  Consequently, most people use the trains.  

After the haircut, I did some grocery shopping at a big supermarket, then went in search of a bus to take me back up the hill.  Alas, I learned that the bus doesn't accept cash, just transit cards.  Mine was safely in my purse at home, so I had to lug the groceries home.


Oh well.....good exercise.

DINNER:  Chili con carne.

No comments:

Post a Comment