Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 347. July 19, 2014. Enjoying Homer

LOCATION:  Homer, Alaska, in southwest tip of Alaska
WEATHER:  Very nice. Highs in 60s

We took advantage of the campground's amenities....I did laundry and George used their internet to pay bills, etc.   They also loaned us a cable hookup so we watched some  PBS on TV.

For lunch, I made large salads with croutons and prices of cold salmon fillets.

We walked to the nearby farmers' market.  There seem to be a lot of "free spirits" living here.  I bought a basil plant.  I hope I can keep it alive while traveling.  Then we went to a street fair.  Who would expect a marimba band in Alaska?


We walked to the Homer Brewpub, handily located next door to our campground.  We ordered a dozen Alaskan oysters.  Quite tasty!


DINNER:  We wanted to make sushi with our remaining salmon roe (ikura in Japanese), but I don't have the equipment.  So, for an appetizer, I made some rice, added a bit of rice vinegar, and served it with the roe.  Added a little wasabi for a kick.  We made salmon burgers with one of the cooked salmon fillets.  The side dish was an unusual 3-bean salad I had made the other day.  Instead of the usual beans, I used garbanzos, edamame and fava beans.  Pretty good.



2 comments:

  1. Get out to the spit and the Salty Dog Saloon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and take some dollar bills and an old bra. Trust me.

      Delete