Friday, July 10, 2015

July 9, 2015. Mayo Clinic efficiency


LOCATION:  Rochester, Minnesota
WEATHER:  very nice.  Highs in 70s

I stayed overnight with my brother and his wife near Lake Calhoun.  They have a lovely garden.  
They enjoy sitting outside during  these beautiful summer days.


I drove 75 miles back to Rochester for afternoon appointments....

I LOVE Mayo Clinic.  I was proud to work there for 13 years, the best job and work environment of all my work experience.

Now I am experiencing it as a patient.  I can't believe its efficiency and caring care...

Yesterday. I had my normal annual dermatology check-up.  The physician assistant found a mole-type growth that she wanted to remove.  Did i have to return another day?  No!  The nurse was called to do the deed, taking a picture on his phone that immediately went into my electronic medical record.  I was in and out in less than an hour.

Then today, I had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon as a  follow-up from bunion surgery a few years ago.  I was scheduled for X-rays at 1:15,  then a consultation with him at 2:30.  I arrived a bit early for the X-Ray,  but they whisked me in, even though the lobby looked like they were very busy.  Then, I walked just a few convenient steps to the orthopedic clinic.  Expecting to wait until 2:30, I pulled out my book to read.   But, surprisingly at 2:00, I was called in.  First, a really handsome, young (they seem to get younger every year!) medical student examined me.  He conferred with my regular surgeon who then examined me.  He wants to do another test and see me again .  I told him my schedule, that I will only be in town a few more days, and they squeezed me in next Monday.  I left the clinic at about 2:30.  Amazing!  

Taking the escalator to the main floor, I heard beautiful classical music being played on the atrium's piano.  Expecting an older adult pianist, I was surprised to see a young gal playing.  Mayo has beautiful decor and art to help soothe its patients.  


George met me downtown for "Thursdays on First", a weekly summer street fair.  Lots of vendors, food, drink, and music.

Then, we went to our old neighborhood and had dinner with several of our former neighbors.  It was so good seeing them.  Of course, we had to peek at our old house.  Thankfully, it looks like it has been well cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment