Saturday, October 24, 2015

October 23, 2015. Day trip to Vancouver, Washington

LOCATION:  House-sitting in Portland, Oregon
WEATHER:  Partly cloudy. Highs in 60s

Every day we let Lola out to play in the backyard.  I'm always paranoid that she won't return.  She doesn't go far.  Here she is preening on the deck.


The tomatoes and herbs are still producing.  The bugenvillia continues to bloom on the deck.


And the camellias in the garden have started to bloom.  

While on a grocery-shopping trip, I decided to get my hair cut.  This is always a scary experience while traveling.  I went into the next door "Walk-in only" beauty shop.  Instant panic set in.  One stylist had half her head shaved with the other long half dyed a bright purple.  Colorful tattoos adorned every speck of her visible body.  The pop music was throbbing at a high decimal level.  My stylist, a buzzed-cut  British guy, took me to his booth  which was covered with Playboy centerfold pictures.  He danced and grooved with the music, then started singing along.  He told me he used to style hair for the stars in Beverly Hills.  (I secretly wondered why then is he in a cheap shop in a Portland suburb?).  I think the cut turned out ok.  At least my head is not shaved or a weird color.

We drove over to Vancouver, Washington, a northern suburb of Portland.  The Vancouver names are very confusing....Vancouver island, Vancouver, British Columbia, and Vancouver, WA.  We went to a McMenamins pub there to redeem  prizes of free appetizers and to enjoy some time on the Columbia River.

With the help of some heaters, it was warm enough to sit on the deck and watch the sailboats. 

DINNER:    Shrimp and grits.  I tried a new  recipe from Bobbie Flay.  Side salad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment