Thursday, March 17, 2016

March 17, 2016. Tasmanian St. Patrick's Day

LOCATION: House-sitting in Latrobe, Tasmania, Australia
WEATHER:  Nice during the day. Highs in 60s. Storms at night

I started sorting through all the brochures to plan our Tasmania camping trip.  I have an app on my iPad called Campermate that shows all the campgrounds in New Zealand and Australia.  I wanted to select some now, while I have  internet.  While looking at the brochures, I discovered this.....


Who knew?

We headed to nearby Devonport for a St, Patrick's Day lunch at Molly Mallone's Irish pub.


With his Guinness, George got a free baseball cap with the Guinness logo.  We had a corned beef platter.  They call corned beef "silver side" here.  It came with a white sauce and steamed vegetables.  I had a Tasmanian stout which we liked even more than the Guinness.  


Back home, I decided I need a haircut, always a scary experience on the road.  For such a small town, Latrobe has a surprising number of beauty shops....at least 8.  I walked to 2 nearby shops.  Neither had openings for a week or so.  Puzzling.... Then the 3rd shop I tried squeezed me in.  

DINNER:  Beans and rice.  I used the beans we had shelled from the runner beans, and the salsa George had made with some of the tomatoes.  

We have been watching British comedies on TV in the evenings.  Today was my favorite, "Keeping Up Appearances".  They also run old "M.A.S.H." shows.  In tonight's episode,  Hawkeye was complaining about the conditions and said....."It sure isn't the Mayo Clinic".  (We proudly used to work at Mayo.)


No comments:

Post a Comment