Friday, December 6, 2013

Day 121. December 5, 2013. Kayaking

Still in same Keys state park.  We rented a 2-person kayak.  George took his fishing pole.  The young man who got us set up gave us a map and told George where some good fishing spots were.  George told me to navigate while he fished.  That was our first mistake.  I am terrible with directions.  I could not decipher the map.  We rowed for quite some time in the main channel, and then headed into some smaller channels where supposedly the fishing is better.  Second mistake.  The channel we went into was the wrong one (too tiny to be on a map).  We quickly became ensnarled in mangove tree branches.  We were really stuck.  I had to lie down completely on my back while George shoved us out.  The tree branches scratched my life jacket.  I was just glad there were no salt-water crocodiles lurking around.   Also glad there was no one to see us, as it was very embarrassing.  I'm sure we looked hilarious.   Then we rowed farther, totally lost.  By this time, I'm getting a little panicked and tired of sitting.  We finally came to a sign that said "no canoes beyond this point" as it was the channel out to the ocean.  What did we do?  Of course, we continued!  The current was pulling us out, so we had to row pretty hard to keep toward shore.  Finally made it back, safe and sound, but alas, no fish.

We swam in the PM to cool off.  We met a nice family from South Africa.  They are traveling around the USA for one year.  They bought a camper and will sell it when they go back.  They have 3 children, ages 1, 2, and 4.  I can't imagine doing this with young kids!

We went to a tiki bar on the bayside to watch the sunset.  

They have a tradition that a customer rings a big gong right at sunset

We had some smoked fish dip as we watched the sun set.  We really felt like we were in some Caribbean Island in a swanky resort.

Nothing spectacular for dinner....leftover pork chops with baked potato and spinach.  

1 comment: