Saturday, December 7, 2013

Day 122. December 6, 2013. Manatee!




Another day at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.  We biked over to a different beach within the park.  Almost empty.  I had the water to myself.  I started snorkeling around, and saw what I thought was a big rock or sunken boat.  Then it moved, and I realized that it was a HUGE manatee!!!  I yelled to George and others on the shore and they watched it surface for air.  I watched it under the water munching on sea grass.  Although I know they are completely harmless, I was still caught off-guard and my heart was pounding.  They are cousins of elephants, and this one was that size.  I went back to the shore, then returned to the manatee several times.  I was just inches from his snout.  It was an experience of a lifetime, especially since it was so unexpected.

We cleaned up and went to a bar to watch the sun set.  This one has a glass bottom floor, so you can watch fish under you while you eat and drink.  They also had a huge Christmas tree-like structure made out of lobster trips.  Just seems surreal. 

For dinner, we grilled a hogfish snapper with onions and leftover cilantro.  Good!


2 comments:

  1. The high today in Mpls. is -1 F !!!!! You are in the right place at the right time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First item: Yo Keith! Yea we only have 3 or 4 months of cold to go. Actually I love living here................am I crazy?
      Second item: About the "Christmas Tree" above made out of pallets and boxes which is about one story tall.............I guess its "crafter" puts me to same because I thought I was a good crafter and none of my homemade crafts are larger than a shoebox!

      Delete