Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 208. March 2, 2014. Electric blanket time!

LOCATION:  Kerrville, TX.  About 50 miles NW of San Antonio

WEATHER:  high of 59 at 1:00 AM with temps dropping all day to 19.  Windy, cloudy, drizzle

The Texas brochure says that Kerrville has the USA's best year-round climate.  Guess we just picked a bad day.   Since it was drizzling and cold, we stayed in our hotel until early PM. Then we moved to the campground and plan to stay here 4 days or so.  Here is our route and location on Texas map. 

We stayed indoors and read.  For dinner, I made tortellini with a sweet potato purée, modifying a recipe with food I had on-hand or could find in the grocery store.  

I went to the campground bathroom before bedtime.  It was pitch black and about 25 degrees.  When I came out of the building, I was disoriented and started walking blindly ( in the wrong direction) toward a camper that I incorrectly thought was ours.   Thankfully, George came outside and found me.  Kind of scary. 

We have propane heat as well as an electric space heater.  We also have an electric blanket we LOVE. It is so nice to climb into a warm bed.  It reminds me of when I was a little girl......our bedrooms upstairs did not have heat and the  old house (in Iowa) was poorly insulated.  I slept with about 20 quilts...could not move.  They took a while to warm up when I first went to bed.  Then, a miracle happened and someone invented the electric blanket.  My brother and I would take turns turning on the blankets before we went to bed, to get them toasty and welcoming.

Right before 9:00, our water pipes froze up so we had to disconnect the hose.  The wind howled through the night.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should have stayed at the hotel. The pipes froze? That surprises me. I remember all the quilts too!

    ReplyDelete