Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day 230. March 24, 2014. Dry and dusty

LOCATION: Another day in Marfa, Texas, in far SW Texas
WEATHER:  Warm and sunny, high around 65

We decided to stay one more day in Marfa.  Our campground is on the eastern outskirts of town.  We walked into town for lunch, but being Monday, almost everything was closed.  Someone told us there is a "greasy Mexican" restaurant on the far western side of town.  So, we had quite a hike there.  It turned out to be good food, and super busy, including about 15 Border Patrol guys.  We split their lunch special @ $6, which was more than we could eat.

Yesterday I posted a picture of one of the food trucks here
It turns out that the owner lives in an old Air Stream our campground.  (Note car says Food Shark)
Our campground has a shed that is a kitchen/laundry/eating/sitting area.  We hung out there in the PM.  Everything is covered with dust.  On the positive side, clothes and dishes dry in a flash.  On a negative note, our skin is drying out almost equally fast.

DINNER: Since it is so dry, most of West Texas has a burn ban in place.  Since we cannot make a campfire, I'm cooking everything inside.  I'm trying to keep the Air Stream "fresh" by not cooking meat or chicken inside.  So, I invented something again tonight.  I sautéed onions, leftover zucchini, garlic, mushrooms and a few slices of turkey lunch meat.  I added cream and Parmesan to make a cream sauce and served it with delicious Pappardella pasta I still have from the San Antonio shopping trip.  At the end, I sprinkled some black truffle oil on top....how gourmet!  Someone had left a bottle of it in the kitchen area, and I thought I'd try it.




1 comment:

  1. Fire ban? Perfect excuse to eat out every meal except breakfast. For $3 each (the lunch special split) you can afford to get a little crazy!

    ReplyDelete