Friday, March 13, 2015

March 12, 2015. Through the Mojave Desert to the beach!

CAMPGROUND:  River Island State Park. Electricity, water, dump station.  Very good bathrooms and showers. Outside dishwashing sink. $25/night. We have best site...along river. 5 stars
LOCATION: Lake Havasu City in west central part of Arizona on Colorado River
WEATHER:  50s in the morning in the mountains; 90 below in the desert

We packed up in Idyllwild.  The solo-traveling lady we met there inspired George to force me to learn how to hook-up and unhook the camper.  So, we had a lesson....very frustrating.  I just don't think I could manage this by myself.

One hour after leaving the mountain top, we were back in the hot, desert floor.  We drove about 200 miles east through the Mojave.  There is NOTHING there.  We saw signs warning that gas is not available for 100+ miles.  

This park was recommended to us, so I had made reservations. It's a good thing I did reserve, because it is completely full.  Other nearby state parks are full, too.  It is spring  break for many schools.   It is beautiful here.  Our site is right on the river.  We'll be here 4 nights.  I hope we can rent a boat or jet-ski. There is a dam and big lake here.  Can't wait to explore!

We had another issue with the camper. George turned a corner too tight, and ran over the curb, bending our steps.  He fixed it this afternoon.  Hopefully, no additional repairs will be necessary for awhile.

It was pretty hot in the afternoon, but cooled off nicely after sunset. This is the view from our campsite.

DINNER:  We shopped at a great grocery store, so I stocked up.  I usually make a dinner menu for 4-5 nights, and shop accordingly.  My tiny refrigerator is packed and the cooler is now stocked with beer and white wines.  

George grilled a New York strip steak and baked potatoes on the grill.  I made a kale/Swiss chard salad.  Yummy!

 

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever shop at Trader Joe's? We always use them when we travel. Lots of interesting foods and cheap! Cheap wine too.

    ReplyDelete