Wednesday, September 2, 2015

September 1, 2015. Tomato day

LOCATION:  Organic farm near Ukiah, California in NW part of state
WEATHER:  Very nice. Highs around 80

We dedicated the day to managing our tomatoes.  Even though we sold several baskets at last weekend's markets, we have a lot left.  The garden is also full of ones to pick for next weekend, so our mission today was to process those in storage.....

I cut up a lot and set them out to sun-dry.
I made gazpacho for lunch.
I made spaghetti sauce to have on hand, and to freeze.
I made tomato juice.
.......and we still have more!

In the afternoon, I researched flights to New Zealand and Australia.  I booked our flights to New Zealand, using frequent flyer miles.  (Thanks to my former job when I flew Delta a lot).  So, our 2016 trip is a reality!  

In the garden there is a very interesting tree.  The woodpeckers have made it their home.  There are thousands of holes where they store their acorns.  Our friend Daniel was fascinated by them and took a lot of neat  pictures when he visited...


You can see the holes in the tree, full of nuts.....

This woodpecker has a nut in his mouth....


Ready to store his prize.....

DINNER:  Stuffed zucchini with a rice/spaghetti sauce mixture, chock full of tomatoes, of course.  Since I had the oven on, I also roasted some garlic.  Just put whole garlic heads in a pan,  drizzle olive oil over them, and bake about one hour. So delicious and aromatic!  We spread the roasted garlic "goo" onto French bread.  Really gourmet, and a great way to use up zucchini and tomatoes!

1 comment:

  1. Do you never eat meat now? Check out the hikes in NZ, there are some famous ones.

    ReplyDelete