Wednesday, September 9, 2015

September 8, 2015. Farmer George and Farmwife Karmen

LOCATION:  Organic farm near Ukiah, CA in NW part of state
WEATHER:  Hot again!  :-(   High 102

We went out to the garden early today as we knew it would be hot later.  Paola and George hand-watered trees and some plants that aren't on the irrigation system.  George and I watered some trees far away from the house.  We have to carry water buckets from the pond to the trees.  The problem is that the pond is very low due to the drought.  We rigged up a kind of pulley system to get the water.  All in blazing 100 temps.  Ugh

I clipped more fennel see heads.  Next to the stove, they make the house smell nice.

We have been here about one month, this stint, and were here 2 weeks in May.  We have turned into farmers!  Here we are, the happy couple......


Woops, wrong photo......


We were selling kohlrabi last weekend at the market, as we found some ready to pick.  Customers asked us what it tastes like.  We didn't know, so I cooked some for lunch.  Kind of like a broccoli stem.  I added it to some leftover Asian stir fry.  Nice and crunchy.

We dehydrated kale chips in preparation for the market.  

The hot  afternoon was good for napping, and reading.

DINNER:  Meatloaf, using tomato sauce I had made,   Glazed it with the onion jam I made in the cooking class I took.

No comments:

Post a Comment