Thursday, February 6, 2014

Day 183. February 5, 2014. King Ranch, Texas


We visited King Ranch, about an hour from here.  It is the largest ranch in the USA, bigger than Rhode Island.  We took a bus tour, seeing longhorns and other cattle, and their horses.  Also wildlife..deer and wintering Sandhill cranes.  Due to the drought, they cannot irrigate, so they have fewer livestock than normal.  Everything is brown and barren.


This guy was pretty friendly
There are javelinas around here.  We have not seen them, but have seen where they burrow.  

Nothing very interesting food-wise today....we made sandwiches for lunch with our leftover Franklin BBQ brisket.  For dinner, George ate my portion of the fire-hot chicken dinner that I couldn't eat the other night.  I made homemade chicken veg soup for later, using the remaining pieces of the rotisserie chicken.  Three meals from that chicken @ $3.99.....pretty good!



1 comment:

  1. Good Morning,
    Lynne Green Weltzheimer here. (I can’t even remember the last time all the Kales, Durfeys and Greens were together in Truro or a lake but I am sure it was when both of us were a lot younger!!!) I just wanted to let you know I have been enjoying reading your journal of your adventures. My Mom mentioned your blog at Thanksgiving so my reading your blog has become part of my daily routine. Your girls have really grown into wonderful ladies you should be so proud. Wishing you continued happy trails.

    ReplyDelete