Sunday, February 23, 2014

Day 200! February 22, 2014. Birding

I
We are at Falcon State Park another day, in south central Texas.  It is a popular place for birders.  Many of the campers walk around with binoculars around their necks.  

Today's theme is leftovers, or perhaps I should say, "repurposed food".  With a tiny refrigerator, we can't store much.

The freezer is even tinier, holding this one ice cube tray

So, I try to think about how I can use food for several days, without having the exact same thing.  Today, as an example, George made grits using the chicken broth I had made a few days ago when we had grilled chicken.  To that, he added a dollop of the yummy jalapeño cream cheese I had used with celery slices last night.  I had 2 eggs left, and prepared then sunny-side up on top of the grits.  
Continuing with leftovers, I made paninis for lunch with leftover pork from 2 nights ago, with (of course) more of that cream cheese.

For dinner, George made a dip with avocado, tomatillo, salsa, and lime juice.  We had that as an appetizer with crudités (aka the remaining celery and some carrot sticks).  The main course was stuffed potato packets.  I partially baked  2 potatoes in the microwave.  Into the centers, I stuffed sautéed onion, garlic, and a remaining bell pepper I needed to use up.  I seasoned them with oregano and safe, and a bit of butter.  I wrapped them in aluminum foil and threw them on the campfire.  The potato bits that I scooped out will be used in a few days for a soup I'm planning.  We also grilled some Spam slices.  I know.....might seem odd, but we actually like Spam.  The leftover Spam slices will be used for lunch sandwiches tomorrow, and we will spread the leftover avocado dip on top instead of using mayonnaise.  I really enjoy all this planning, and we try to make it as economical and healthy as possible.

Now for the day....We did the 3 -mile trail loop again.  This time, we saw lots of rabbits and 2 javelinas. In the PM, George polished the camper, and then we drove to a birding center.  There were beautiful birds there, some migratory and some Texan ones.  A couple feed them every year, so the birds know to come here.  

Beautiful sunset, nice evening. The only thing missing was Saturday night's ritual, Praire Home Companion.  No radio and very limited internet here. 

Since there is also no TV here, the campers trade around DVDs.  We watched an old movie "Big".  

No comments:

Post a Comment