Thursday, July 21, 2016

July 21, 2016. More hikes in the Cotswolds

LOCATION:  House-sitting in Oxford, England
WEATHER:  A bit cooler. Highs about 80.  Sunny

We got an earlier start today as we wanted to hike before it heated up.  After about an hour's bus ride, including a transfer and bus delays, we arrived at our destination, a tiny village called Minster Lovell.  I'm sure I'm monotonous in my description of these villages, but they just get more and more quaint and picturesque.  I just LOVE the thatched roofs.


This lovely inn is  the only business in town.  Our new motto.....


I had borrowed a Cotswold hiking book from our homeowner, and we planned to follow the 4- mile suggested hike starting in the town.

First up was supposed to be a path through this field.  However, the farmer had just mowed the hay, so the path was hidden under the haystraw somewhere. 


After the hayfield, we hiked through some woods, then by an old woolen mill, then through a tiny village, over the river, and through more fields.  We climbed over this stile....



After the hike, we caught the bus to Burford.  It is another cute Cotswold town.  We had lunch in a 15th century inn.  


This was the view from our bus stop, waiting to return to Oxford....

While we were waiting for the bus, the gates opened and this mansion stood before us. I looked it up, and found it belongs to the Murdoch family (of media tycoon fame).  Wow!  


To top off the day, we went to a wine-tasting event at our neighborhood wine shop.  I started talking with one man, who then invited us to his house for dinner on Sunday.  How nice!

DINNER:  Leftover pasta.  

1 comment:

  1. Gee, I went to Minster Lovell when I was 24 or so! Brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete