Sunday, July 24, 2016

July 24, 2016. Shakespeare in Oxford

LOCATION:  House-sitting in Oxford, England
WEATHER: Beautiful.  Cooler. Highs low 70s

Carrie, one of our cats, sat next to me while reading this morning.  She has made a nest on a package our homeowner has received.

A few hours later, My iPad froze up.  I did everything I could think of to unlock it, to no avail.  I went into panic mode as all our information about our trip is stored within.....train tickets, hotel reservations, housesitting dates and details, car rental info, etc.  Also, I could not access the iPad's camera so couldnt take any pictures.  So, today's blog pictures are from the Internet.

We went into the city center and had lunch at the Turf Tavern, built in the 13th century.  A lot of famous people have frequented this place.  Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, among others, stopped in while filming something here.  It is the pub where Bill Clinton, while a Rhodes Scholar student in Oxford, infamously smoked a joint, but " didn't inhale".  


We sat on the patio with many other tourists.


From there, we went to the Bodleian Library where we had tickets to Shakespeare's "Two Gentlemen of Verona".  It was performed outdoors in the library's quadrangle by Globe Theater actors.  It was really interesting, although we missed some of the puns. 
 

During intermission, they turned the Divinity School lecture hall into a bar.  Several scenes from Harry Potter were filed here.

Back home, we trouble-shot my iPad problem on George's computer.  Thank goodness for Google!  I was able to unlock it.  It taught me a lesson though.....I need to back up important info with good old pencil and paper.

Our day was capped off with dinner in a neighbor's home.  We had met this man at a wine tasting this week, and he invited us.  It was a lovely evening with very kind and interesting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment