Sunday, July 10, 2016

July 9, 2016. Last day in Sheffield, continued

We returned home via our backyard cemetary shortcut.  Some of the tombstones are so old that you can't read the inscriptions.  Others have interesting writing, including poems....

This from 1859, marking the death of a 28-year-old...

Though weeping friends shall say farewell
Yet we may meet in heaven
For now he's gone with Christ to dwell
With all his sins forgiven


Another from 1873, a 68-year-old who must have been ill....

Affliction sore, long time she bore
Physicians were in vain
God thought it best that she should rest
And eased her of her pain

George thought this grave would be good for him.  Since it is already open, he wants me to just stuff him in!  



I am fascinated with these.  Another one, this one from 1870, again apparently dying after a long illness, seemingly written by the dead person....

Long affliction did my life attend
But patience brought it to an end
Death from this world has set me free
Prepare my friends to follow me.  


One more from a 29-year-old in 1857...

I was so long with pain opprest
Which wore my strength away
It made me long for endless rest
Which never can decay

From the cemetery, we returned to the vicarage through our back door....


Snails must like the rain and the old buildings.  The ground was covered with them.  I thought this was an "artsy" photo of a snail crawling on the gravel pathway....


The homeowners returned from their vacation.  We enjoyed a chat.  They went out to a concert and we shared dinner with their visiting mother. I made a cheese/vegetable frittata.

No comments:

Post a Comment